Continuing on with my recent hormone blogs.....let's talk about testosterone today.
In men testosterone is responsible for sperm production and for secondary sex characteristics. In women testosterone regulates sexual desire and helps maintain bone and muscle health.
- mood swings, anxiety, depression
- decreased libido, vaginal dryness
- brain fog, memory loss
- weight gain especially in the belly
- decreased muscle mass
- joint pain
- night sweats
- migraine/menstrual headaches
- decreased muscle mass and weight gain especially in the belly
- erectile dysfunction and decreased libido
- "man boobs"
- irritability, depression, anxiety
- joint pain
- sleep problems
- memory loss
Lots of myths surround the use of testosterone in women. So be informed and make note of the facts!
- testosterone is the most abundant biologically active hormone in women
- testosterone does not "masculinize" women unless some huge supra-physiologic dose is used
- testosterone does not deepen a woman's voice
- testosterone therapy actually increases scalp hair in women
- testosterone is cardioprotective and adequate levels actually decrease the risk of heart disease
- testosterone decreases anxiety and irritability
- testosterone is protective to the breast and DOES NOT cause breast cancer